Ikou Era
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
IE Chatbox

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]
Gallery
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Empty
Let's see how long this lasts.
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 10:29 am by Misuke
Hey all!

Been a while since I bothered posting here, since there was absolutely nothing I could do to revive the game from the state in which it was left. That has since changed, and I now have access to the means to better the game, and bring it to the state in which it was originally meant to be played.

I do hope regulars and newbies alike welcome the changes I plan to bring, and continue to …

Comments: 0
Ikou Era Apology
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 am by AllSmiles
Hello, faithful Ikou Era players. I am sorry for being so inactive to the production of Ikou Era, me slowing down with updates had affected all of us. I doubt, I can make it up for your patience and your unbreakable loyalty to someone that had been made by my brain. Ikou Era is my first original project and it is one of the most proudest work I had done, this project was the result of my …

Comments: 0
Latest topics
» Let's see how long this lasts.
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 10:29 am by Misuke

» Hosting of Ikou
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 9:27 am by Misuke

» Places, Housing, Combat, etc.
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 am by slash124cool

» What the phock
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 7:22 am by arato

» Suggestions
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:56 am by Anonymous Samurai

» The Shogun of Edo
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 am by Anonymous Samurai

Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.

Go down 
4 posters

Is this a good Idea? What should the cap be at?
No.
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. I_vote_lcap0%Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes. (Cap below 10%.)
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. I_vote_lcap0%Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes. (Cap at 10-25%.)
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes. (Cap at 26-50%.)
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes. (Cap at 51-75%.)
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes. (Cap at 76-99%.)
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes. (33% Specifically.)
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. I_vote_lcap50%Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Yes. (66% Specifically.)
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes. (No cap.)
Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. I_vote_lcap50%Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
Roraborialis

PostSubject: Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.   Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 7:11 am

Please, use the poll for support/disapproval. Opinions on how the various stats should work, and actual growth speed, as well as harsh criticism should be the primary subject of posts.

The current game operates so that the main way to beef up your character is combat. In 5 minutes of punching people will give 2/3 sp, a whole day of fishing will give you 1 if you level up 9 times, and we wonder why there are so many no-RP muggings in game. (In my 3 day tout its happened thrice.)

All skills in this game can be raised through continued use. As skills can be in real life, why not do the same for physical attributes? Certainly it could not be as convenient as being able to press a button and get the needed attributes for the task at hand, but it would eliminate the need for blacksmiths to be muggers for weeks in order to get the strength to hold the metal necessary to smith a spearhead.

How would we fit this in the game? Why not make it so that stats are very slowly gained (In an asymptotic (Will never stop growing, but will also never go past a certain point) curve in relationship to rate, the higher it is, the slower it grows,) when they are normally used? Strength could be gained by working/moving while they are close to 100% weight. The more stamina used, the better. Speed would be gained, 1 by running, 2 being unencumbered when running (aka. Doing stuff right in real life cross country terms. Don't ask what we do to reduce external encumbrance,) Offense and defense could be trained similarly, but perhaps at an extremely slow rate in comparison Offense could be gained by consuming stamina attacking, encouraging short fights that do not end up going to the death. Defense by blocking.

On asymptotic growth: This means that you can expect relatively quick growth when your stats are baseline, and expect the growth to slow down as you go. (33% sounds very reasonable for the point that can never be touched.) And at a certain point, advancing would be no longer possible without SP.

Please, use the poll for support/disapproval. Reserve commenting for specific details.
Back to top Go down
Eteruu
Eteruu

IC Profile
IC Name: Hateru

PostSubject: Re: Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.   Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 am

Roraborialis wrote:
Please, use the poll for support/disapproval. Opinions on how the various stats should work, and actual growth speed, as well as harsh criticism should be the primary subject of posts.

The current game operates so that the main way to beef up your character is combat. In 5 minutes of punching people will give 2/3 sp, a whole day of fishing will give you 1 if you level up 9 times, and we wonder why there are so many no-RP muggings in game. (In my 3 day tout its happened thrice.)

All skills in this game can be raised through continued use. As skills can be in real life, why not do the same for physical attributes? Certainly it could not be as convenient as being able to press a button and get the needed attributes for the task at hand, but it would eliminate the need for blacksmiths to be muggers for weeks in order to get the strength to hold the metal necessary to smith a spearhead.

How would we fit this in the game? Why not make it so that stats are very slowly gained (In an asymptotic (Will never stop growing, but will also never go past a certain point) curve in relationship to rate, the higher it is, the slower it grows,) when they are normally used? Strength could be gained by working/moving while they are close to 100% weight. The more stamina used, the better. Speed would be gained, 1 by running, 2 being unencumbered when running (aka. Doing stuff right in real life cross country terms. Don't ask what we do to reduce external encumbrance,) Offense and defense could be trained similarly, but perhaps at an extremely slow rate in comparison Offense could be gained by consuming stamina attacking, encouraging short fights that do not end up going to the death. Defense by blocking.

On asymptotic growth: This means that you can expect relatively quick growth when your stats are baseline, and expect the growth to slow down as you go. (33% sounds very reasonable for the point that can never be touched.) And at a certain point, advancing would be no longer possible without SP.

Please, use the poll for support/disapproval. Reserve commenting for specific details.

I agree on the idea to make skillpoints increase through actual manual labour. Though there would be a few changes I had in mind.

In terms of offense and defense, we think alike. I think these two stats are best increased through combat by exorcising either one or the other.

In terms of strength and speed, I like your ideas, but would like the ability to more freely train both strength and speed.

When talking of speed, I don't think it's connected too much to running speed, but more in terms of combat speed (dodge rate, upper body movement, quick attack movement). To train this would obviously be through combat or swinging a weapon/punching.

Obviously, this would mean that the speed increase is reduced by half when compared to defense and offense, considering it covers both.

As for the running, I suggest that it can be used to increase endurance. The more you run, the longer you can last in combat, and the longer you can run. Which brings me to another suggestion. Decreasing endurance while running.

Not only does this make sense (to me, at least), but it also allows for training in all fields.

To train Strength;
- Manual labour/running or walking with almost full weight.
- Possibly something along the lines of push-ups or other suggestions from more creative people.

To train Speed;
- Swinging the sword and/or actual combat (the gain rate could be slightly increased).

To Train offense/defense;
- Up to a certain soft cap, you can train offense and defense by simply punching or swinging a weapon (obviously the weapon would have a higher gain rate), however I don't think that this cap should be very high. This to make sure that you can't become a master in combat through only self-training.
- After the cap, you can only gain offense and defense through actual combat, meaning sparring or life/death situations. The gain rate would slightly increase.

To train endurance;
- Running (Extremely low gain rate)
- Punching/Weapon (Very low gain rate)
- Combat (Normal gain rate)

In regards of the "caps" I agree that there should be a limit to how strong one can get.
However, I think that this should be in regard of TOTAL skill points. This way, someone could increase their combat skills in the way they want to. If they want to be dumb strong, they can, but they can't increase their other abilities to the same level.

And because of this, I would also like the "Total Sp cap" to only kick in when you've reached your peak, or top combat ability, meaning theres a limit to how many points you can have after every stat has reached the sum of for example 5.
Back to top Go down
slash124cool
Vagrant
Vagrant
slash124cool

PostSubject: Re: Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.   Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:42 am

Eteruu wrote:
Roraborialis wrote:

I agree on the idea to make skillpoints increase through actual manual labour. Though there would be a few changes I had in mind.

In terms of offense and defense, we think alike. I think these two stats are best increased through combat by exorcising either one or the other.

In terms of strength and speed, I like your ideas, but would like the ability to more freely train both strength and speed.

When talking of speed, I don't think it's connected too much to running speed, but more in terms of combat speed (dodge rate, upper body movement, quick attack movement). To train this would obviously be through combat or swinging a weapon/punching.

Obviously, this would mean that the speed increase is reduced by half when compared to defense and offense, considering it covers both.

As for the running, I suggest that it can be used to increase endurance. The more you run, the longer you can last in combat, and the longer you can run. Which brings me to another suggestion. Decreasing endurance while running.

Not only does this make sense (to me, at least), but it also allows for training in all fields.

To train Strength;
- Manual labour/running or walking with almost full weight.
- Possibly something along the lines of push-ups or other suggestions from more creative people.

To train Speed;
- Swinging the sword and/or actual combat (the gain rate could be slightly increased).

To Train offense/defense;
- Up to a certain soft cap, you can train offense and defense by simply punching or swinging a weapon (obviously the weapon would have a higher gain rate), however I don't think that this cap should be very high. This to make sure that you can't become a master in combat through only self-training.
- After the cap, you can only gain offense and defense through actual combat, meaning sparring or life/death situations. The gain rate would slightly increase.

To train endurance;
- Running (Extremely low gain rate)
- Punching/Weapon (Very low gain rate)
- Combat (Normal gain rate)

In regards of the "caps" I agree that there should be a limit to how strong one can get.
However, I think that this should be in regard of TOTAL skill points. This way, someone could increase their combat skills in the way they want to. If they want to be dumb strong, they can, but they can't increase their other abilities to the same level.

And because of this, I would also like the "Total Sp cap" to only kick in when you've reached your peak, or top combat ability, meaning theres a limit to how many points you can have after every stat has reached the sum of for example 5.

Well the idea is quite good, but be awre theres certain caps, theres a diference in gains when you start, after sometime, its hardly impossible, but this makes it look like, youre reachign certain cap, or else you need to train longer hours to make a considerable increase.
The system thats working on the game is made, so that people arent that distanced in power, to be more balanced.
If we did it like you both prevously stated, the training would actually become easyer and most players would waste there time training theyre stats than roleplaying, giving again advantage to non rpers.
I think the actuall sistem for now is good, it allows the player to try and organize strategys, rather than depending in theyre style and stats.
Back to top Go down
Ninjafro

PostSubject: Re: Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.   Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 pm

I actually already have reduced SP dependency. Back about a year ago, SP were everything in combat, and now that just isn't the case. A developed (Rank 15+ style) on somebody with 20 SP and a decent weapon will be able to destroy some no-lifer with 150 SP and a rank 6 style.

There also is a SP gain curve, meaning that, after a certain point, it becomes nearly impossible to gain more SP. Combat is largely more governed by skill, style ability, and weaponry than by SP, and the new system was designed that way.
Back to top Go down
Roraborialis

PostSubject: Re: Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.   Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Ninjafro wrote:
I actually already have reduced SP dependency. Back about a year ago, SP were everything in combat, and now that just isn't the case. A developed (Rank 15+ style) on somebody with 20 SP and a decent weapon will be able to destroy some no-lifer with 150 SP and a rank 6 style.

There also is a SP gain curve, meaning that, after a certain point, it becomes nearly impossible to gain more SP. Combat is largely more governed by skill, style ability, and weaponry than by SP, and the new system was designed that way.

Why yes. While SP carry's a much lesser role in combat, strength is necessary for a handful of the non combat rolls. Yeah, A fisherman doesn't need to worry about how much they carry (until they start carrying a fishing rod.) Woodworkers, Crafters, miners, and blacksmiths absolutely need large amounts of strength in order to do many projects. (A bar of metal can take about 50% of a beginner blacksmiths weight limit. They can forge very little with that, and have plenty of trouble raising their strength to a level where they can do their job without massive amounts of sparring.)
Back to top Go down
slash124cool
Vagrant
Vagrant
slash124cool

PostSubject: Re: Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.   Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 3:24 am

em..., actually mining and fishing provides sp plus, if you choose a job where you need to carry alot of things, just improve youre strenght theres no point on improving the other stats if it doesnt fit youre job, anyway theres a posibility that carts will appeare later on, which would allow you to carry more
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.   Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reduce SP dependence to reduce random combat/killing.
Page 1 of 1